Coda File System

Transfer Speeds

From: Zetas <zetas_at_gshellz.org>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 06:54:55 -0400 (EDT)
Hello everyone,

I've been doing some performance tests and i'd like to see what you guys think
of what im getting, if it could be faster by setting the rvm log and/or data
files differently or what.
Right now, over the open Internet i'm getting about 1Mbps transfer between one
node and the SCM, this is transferring a 150MB file.

My RVM Log is set to 20MB and the RVMData is set to 64MB. Venus cache is set to
20MB on one node and 100MB on another (not sure if thats an issue or not, one
server is more powerful than the other and it was a default setting so i left
it).

Over the openvpn we have, i get about 210Kbps, so it would seem the open
Internet is about 5 times faster. I expected some performance hit form the
security, but not that much.

My main question is: I want to set it up to sync small files quickly, i think i
did that, so testing with a 150MB file might skew my performance tests no? Also,
if we have to go over the open Internet to gain that performance boost, what
kind of innate security does coda provide, is there any kind data encryption
employed? Besides just the auth to write to the directory, we'd like the data
going over the net to be encrypted as well or at least obfuscated, curious to
know if this is already done or what would be the best way to go about doing it.

Thanks guys,
David