Coda File System

Re: Aetey's Coda installers (was Re: Coda on Ubuntu 7.10, RPC2 failing)

From: <u+codalist-p4pg_at_chalmers.se>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 17:19:08 +0200
Hi Andy,

thanks for your reply.

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 06:55:35AM -0700, Andy Valencia wrote:
> --------
> > Again, I would suggest trying the binary installer,

> Which made me think "closed source".  But of course maybe you just meant
> that this was what you happened to pre-build binaries for.  And when I
> looked at:
>
>     http://www.aetey.se/
>
> I read:
>
> >   FREE 30 days trial.
> >   Monthly fee EUR 5.19 incl.VAT,
>
> I thought you were a commercial vendor.

That's perfectly correct, we _are_ a commercial vendor, but we
sell a service - access to a repository of directly runnable software
and to a computing environment based on the repository.
We maintain the software and this is the work we want to be paid for.

The Coda installers are not proprietary in any sense.
They are a result of several years of our experience with active Coda usage
and with many installations.
They are free to use, distribute and modify.

> But if it's open source and freely usable then I've clearly come to the
> wrong conclusion.  I had no intention to mis-characterise your offering.

We forget this.

Hope you enjoy Coda.

Best regards,
Rune