Coda File System

Re: Repacking Coda(WinXP) as standard Cygwin package (*.tar.bz2).

From: Phil Nelson <phil_at_cs.wwu.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 09:00:43 -0800
On Monday 19 December 2005 03:03 am, M.Kondrin wrote:
> The questions is about file system driver - what is its name and where
> it is located? I have recompiled coda (after I have installed the binary
> package) but I want to pack it into cygwin package and let users to
> install it with Cygwin setup.exe. With "user-level" parts where is no
> problem but what else I have to put into package (because I do not know
> that files was installed during Coda setup outside C:\Cygwin)? Should
> installation script add entries into Windows registry?

I had thought about doing this earlier.  There are a few problems for
which I haven't taken time to see if there is a solution.

  1) The setup.exe untars files relative to / in Cygwin.  The coda file
system has several files that need to be installed in something like
C:\Windows\System32\drivers.   They could be copied from the / tree in
a postinstall script, but I'm not sure if Cygwin provides a proper
definition of C:\ or whatever the root of the system is.

  2) There are Windows registry entries that need installation.

  3) This may be the hardest ... I've have not seen any postinstall script
that takes input from the user.  The Coda setup needs local information that
only the user can supply.  This is things like size of the cache, the
"default" realm, and any local realm server list.   It is possible that one
could use some standard sizes and the testserver, but that requires the user
to know how to change the definitions at a later time.  That would require
a user initiated step and documentation.   With the current situation, the
user has to know something about coda before installing it.

  4) Error detection in the install was hard and may be even harder using the
full cygwin setup situation.

  I'm sure there are a couple of other things that I failed to remember.  I'm
not currently looking at the install script.

  Also, to do this properly, you need to be able to rebuild the .sys files
for yourself.  Get the kernel module source distribution and learn to build
the kernel module.

  I hope this helps.

--Phil

--