Coda File System

Coda for Linux/Windows hot-failover?

From: Mike Fedyk <mfedyk_at_matchmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 15:50:45 -0700
Hi guys,

I've been reading the archives for Coda and OpenAFS for 2004 and both
are very interesting.  I need to check out Lustre also.

I need to have a hot-failover solution for my Debian/testing-3.1 Linux
file server and mail/web/ftp server w/ 2.6 kernel.  Also a solution for
windows would be great as I have one Windows server that needs a similar
hot-failover setup.

I know there are other layers for ip takeover and such, but
Coda/OpenAFS/Lustre is the first step in that direction.

o OpenAFS has a 2GB file size limit in their 1.2 version, but have LFS
support in their 1.3 dev tree.

Having a separate nfs/cifs share for files over 2GB, though rare will be
troublesome for some of my users.  In fact, it is that rarity that may
make it worse since the user will not be used to dealing with that
problem.  At least with OpenAFS I know some future version will have LFS
support, but I have no clue if/when that support will be in Coda.

o OpenAFS's support for 2.6 Linux kernels is seriously lacking right
now.  While Coda has been tracked through the entire 2.5 kernel series.
  Since my primary focus is Linux 2.6 it is good to see Jan on LKML as
often as I do. :)

o I do not see anything in the lists about the current status of
Coda/WinNT/2k/XP. :(

Has anyone else tried this?  I have my users/groups in LDAP, so if I
need kerberos I'll have to add that to my setup...