Coda File System

Re: Coda on FreeBSD

From: Tim Robbins <tjr_at_FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 15:04:51 +1100
On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 10:26:06AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:

>   Do the Coda developers have any plans to support FreeBSD again? The userland
>   part has not compiled for many years, and the kernel support is so broken
>   that I would be surprised if it had ever worked (venus calls vfs_mount(),
>   vfs_mount() calls VFS_ROOT() which calls venus -> deadlock).
>
> huh?  I am running coda from fairly recent CVS on a FreeBSD 4.7ish
> system, and have been doing so for years (1998?  Well, recent coda on
> recent FreeBSD).  While there is occasional OS-independent coda
> lossage (reintegration, rpc2 timeouts, etc.), I have not had
> significant FreeBSD-specific problems, and when I have and have sent
> fixes Jan (and Peter before) has committed patches promptly.

venus from Coda 5.3.19 doesn't work on FreeBSD 5.0-current because free()
detects heap corruption and aborts the program, and rdsinit (run from
vice-setup-rvm) fails because librvm seems to depend on malloc()'d
memory being zeroed. These bugs seem to be fixed in the latest release,
but it still doesn't compile out of the box on FreeBSD 5. Part of this is
due to gcc 3.2 being more picky about C++ code than 2.95.x.

By "support FreeBSD" I mean that it should compile and work without
any local patches on the current releases (4.7 and 5.0).

Tim