Coda File System

Re: Coda on FreeBSD

From: Greg Troxel <gdt_at_ir.bbn.com>
Date: 06 Mar 2003 10:26:06 -0500
  Do the Coda developers have any plans to support FreeBSD again? The userland
  part has not compiled for many years, and the kernel support is so broken
  that I would be surprised if it had ever worked (venus calls vfs_mount(),
  vfs_mount() calls VFS_ROOT() which calls venus -> deadlock).

huh?  I am running coda from fairly recent CVS on a FreeBSD 4.7ish
system, and have been doing so for years (1998?  Well, recent coda on
recent FreeBSD).  While there is occasional OS-independent coda
lossage (reintegration, rpc2 timeouts, etc.), I have not had
significant FreeBSD-specific problems, and when I have and have sent
fixes Jan (and Peter before) has committed patches promptly.

Or do you mean the ports dirs rather than CVS coda.

I have not tried FreeBSD 5.  Brett is working on an alternative mount
scheme that doesn't have the deadlock/hang problem; this is also an
issue on NetBSD 1.6.

With the coming realms code, kernel support will need updating on all
platforms.  This is minor, but it might be a good time to address any
other issues.  I know the whole locking/refcounting bit is somewhat
off on NetBSD 1.6.

        Greg Troxel <gdt_at_ir.bbn.com>