Coda File System

Re: codasrv quits uppon startup

From: Brett Lymn <blymn_at_baesystems.com.au>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 10:21:18 +0930 (CST)
According to Jan Harkes:

>Ok, do you think my current solution would be ok? I'm basing the include
>on the availability of the ncurses.h header file. AFAIK only cmon seems
>to be using curses.

Yes, that sounds ok and, yes, I believe that you are correct that only
cmon requires curses.

>I believe it is actually a compiler/configuration problem in NetBSD.

Agreed.

>The libraries built from /usr/pkgsrc end up in /usr/pkg/lib, but this
>path is not searched by default by the compiler/linker and the dynamic
>loader.

No, it is worse than that - the binaries get installed with dynamic
library dependencies pointing to a ".libs" directory - I think, it has
been a while since I looked at this - anyway, they binaries still are
in the "run from the local compile directory mode" not the installed
mode where they should be looking in /usr/pkg/lib as you noted.  The
linker flags look right to me, I suspect that it stems from some
lossage with libtool.  At the moment libtool is a mystery to me, I
need to get my head around what it does and how it does it - at first
look it seems an insanely complex hack for not much benefit.

>Maybe adding the following line to ld.so.conf will help at least the
>run-time loader.

No, NetBSD no longer has a ld.so.conf file on architectures that are
ELF based.  Most NetBSD architectures are ELF or are moving to ELF.

>. Essentially
>/usr/pkg/include and /usr/pkg/lib need to be added to the default
>include and library searchpaths.

Yes, that bit is correct AFAICT, the -L and -R paths are set on the
linking command and look right to me.

I can get things linked correctly if I munge the link command not to
use the .ra file but put the -l<lib> entries on the command line, I
need to have the libraries installed first but the resultant binaries
do run correctly.