Coda File System

Re: codasrv quits uppon startup

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 14:15:14 -0400
On Mon, Apr 02, 2001 at 11:44:43AM +0930, Brett Lymn wrote:
> According to Jan Harkes:
> >
> >I didn't know there was an offset problem with NetBSD 1.5.
>
> Mea culpa - I think I mentioned it to Phil Nelson but did not report
> it officially...

Ok, in that case it will end up in our tree at some point.

> >Patch-ab is interesting, we should probably test for the ncurses.h
>
> You should not use ncurses any more for NetBSD.  It is not necessary,
> all the functionality that the Coda tools require is provided by the
> standard NetBSD curses.

Ok, do you think my current solution would be ok? I'm basing the include
on the availability of the ncurses.h header file. AFAIK only cmon seems
to be using curses.

> >It looks like patch-ac already got applied to our tree. Hmm, and the
> >version that is being built (coda-5.3.5) is already over a year old.
>
> Yes, it is old.  I tried to get the package updated but I am having
> problems with libtool.  I get things compiled but when I install them
> they bomb out because they cannot find the libraries, it looks like
> the library paths are not being rewritten during the make install
> because the binaries run fine in the compile directories.  I don't
> understand enough about libtool at the moment to work out what needs
> to change to correct this.  I shall try and talk to some of the other
> NetBSD guys and try to get a clue about libtool.

I believe it is actually a compiler/configuration problem in NetBSD.
The libraries built from /usr/pkgsrc end up in /usr/pkg/lib, but this
path is not searched by default by the compiler/linker and the dynamic
loader.

Linux and FreeBSD tend to not have these problems since their packages
are normally installed in /usr and /usr/local, which are in the default
search path of both the linker and the dynamic loader.

Maybe adding the following line to ld.so.conf will help at least the
run-time loader.

    $ echo /usr/pkg/lib >> /etc/ld.so.conf
    $ ldconfig -v

I guess there must be a similar trick for the ld, however it could be
hardcoded and would have to be a changed at build time. Essentially
/usr/pkg/include and /usr/pkg/lib need to be added to the default
include and library searchpaths.