Coda File System

Re: newbie question

From: Shafeeq Sinnamohideen <shafeeq_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 14:28:39 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 9 Mar 2000, Madhav wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have run into this problem while installing codaserver in my 6.1
> redhat(kernel 2.1.12) box.
> When I tried the last step under setting an SCM server which goes like this
> "createvol-rep rootvolume E0000100 /vicepa"
> I got the following message.
>
> [root_at_server1 /root]# createvol_rep rootvolume E0000100 /vicepa
> Servers are (server1 )
> HexGroupId is 7F000001
> creating volume rootvolume.0 on server1
> V_BindToServer: binding to host localhost.localdomain
> RPC2_NewBinding to server localhost.localdomain failed with RPC2_NOBINDING
> (F)
> Failure to make volume on server1!. Abort..

The "localhost.localdomain" seems suspicious - it should be "server1"
instead.

Many of the scripts are not too smart about hostnames. They use only the
hostname and not the fully qualified name, so you should make sure to use
only the hostname any place a server is specified and making sure that
name does resolve correctly.

> Can anybody suggest me as to what I can do?? I already tried it twice. both
> times I got the
> same message  got another doubt as to whether I should run this command or
> not because it was
> given under netBSD heading.
> I have another doubt like whether we should have a seperate partition each
> for vicepa,RVM and LOG.
> Actually I just created these dirs under / and proceeded this far.

Creating them on the same filesystem is fine, but you cannot have multiple
vice partitions (like /vicepb) on the same underlying filesystem. On a
server, LOG is frequently flushed to disk, which on some versions of Linux
involves flushing the entire filesystem it is on to disk. Thus you will
definitely get better performance if LOG is on a different disk, and you
may get somewhat less better performance with it on the same disk but
different partition.

Hope this helps,
Shafeeq