Coda File System

Re: Some question

From: Peter J. Braam <braam_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 12:16:16 -0500
Simone Celli Marchi wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm a novice and I have some question about coda. My goal is to install coda
> on my university (about 40 computer), so I start with a test with a couple
> of computer. The first is setup to be the scm and the second a normal
> server. On any machine there is 1Gb dedicated to coda file system.
> These are my question :
>
> - how can I do to know if the two server are communicating ?
> I tried to copy 1,5Gb on data in /coda, but after a 1Gb the copy fail, so I
> have this doubt :

Well the best test to see if it is working is to use two clients.  You
create some files using the first client, by copying them into /coda and
then look at those files from the other client.  If that works, they are
on the server.

> - if I have two server with each 1Gb, I have a total of 2Gb, or the second
>   server take a copy of scm data ?

You should try to divide you file tree into volumes, and put some
volumes on one server, some on another.  Have you read the HOWTO?

> Last question : when I setup venus with venus-setup, in the list of servers
> I must list only scm servers, right ? But what does this mean ? What is the
> mean to use two scm server ? If I have a scm server on my machine, said
> simo.ddns.org, what appen if I do venus-setup
> simo.ddns.org,testserver.coda.cmu.cs.edu 20000 ?

You cannot list two scm's because they fall into different cells, and
the system would get _very_ confused.  You _can_ list both servers you
have in the vstab.

So simo.ddns.org,testserver.coda.cmu.cs.edu is not a good idea.

- Peter -