Coda File System

Re: Coda status quo and future

From: <u-codalist-wk5r_at_aetey.se>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 09:46:09 +0200
Hi Jaap,

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 03:25:54AM +0200, Jaap Winius wrote:
> The target package and its six dependencies downloaded okay, albeit
> slowly, but then something goes wrong with coda-update. Maybe I'll try
> again later, but otherwise I'll just follow suite and compile from
> source.

I'd suggest using our distribution-neutral binary packages from aetey.se.
They are maintained and they work. We are using them with Debian too.

If you want a better integration into a certain distribution:

The integration into startup scripts and alike could be added by a
.deb/.rpm/younameit wrapper.

This would separate the need for Coda-related skills (we/Aetey patch, compile
and package "Coda functionality") and the need for the distribution-related
skills. There are lots of distributions out there and we can not follow
lots of moving targets :)

Note that such a .deb would be relatively easily maintainable as it will
not depend on Debian-specific libraries (we ship everything needed and
it is actually not much overhead).

I would be happy to provide assistance for handling our installers
if you would like to package them in distribution-specific forms
and track our updates to the installers.

Regards,
Rune