Coda File System

Coda-6.9.5 for Windows XP released

From: Phil Nelson <phil_at_cs.wwu.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 10:16:02 -0700
I am pleased to announce that Coda-6.9.5 for Windows XP is
now available for use.   This release of Coda for Windows XP
now uses the most recent version of Cygwin, the 1.7 branch.
It also brings Coda up to the most recently released version
of Coda, 6.9.5.

To install or to upgrade your version of Coda on XP, use the
Coda setup program found at:

  ftp://coda.cs.cmu.edu/pub/coda/winnt/codasetup.exe

If you have Coda installed on Windows XP currently an upgrade,
carefully read the information at cygwin.com about what users
need to do after the upgrade from the Cygwin 1.5 branch to the
Cygwin 1.7 branch.

This install program will install or upgrade Cygwin as the primary
method of installing Coda.  After the installation, the Coda setup
program will configure your Coda installation for your preferences.
Please read the information presented by the Coda setup program.

If you want to add or update Cygwin programs, you may run the
Cygwin setup program found in /usr/coda/bin/setup.exe.  You will
need to use the -X flag to use the Coda cygwin private mirror.
You will need to run it from a Cygwin command prompt as:
    /usr/coda/bin/setup.exe -X

By default, the packages needed for gcodacon are not installed.
vcodacon is the default GUI codacon for Windows.

--Phil

Here is a repeat of the list of changes in Coda-6.9.5,

- When writing a checkpoint file of the reintegration log took longer
  than the checkpoint interval, we would immediately start writing out a
  new checkpoint, looping indefinitely. (Paolo Casanova)
- Checkpointing failed when the reintegration log contained an empty file.
- Truncate cache file when lookaside lookup fails to avoid the following
  fetch from assuming we already successfully fetched some of the data.
- Make sure we wake up blocked threads when a fetch fails.
- Only close the shadow file descriptor during reintegration if we
  actually opened it.
- Return permission error when a user tries to rmdir a mountpoint.
- Do not flush kernel caches whenever we check if a file is in use.
- gcodacon improvements, notification rate limiting and window
  placement. (Benjamin Gilbert)
- Reduce server->client RPC2 timeout from 60 to 30 seconds, reduces the
  time a client is blocked while callbacks are broken.
- Introduce stricter locking on the server->client callback connections.
- Make sure clients cannot indefinitely keep a callback break RPC busy
  preventing it from completing.
- Write a stack backtrace to the log when an assertion fails.
- Don't create /etc/modules.conf on newer Linux kernels (Adam Goode)
- Don't install init scripts when building from source. Example scripts
  based on Hans de Goede's LSB scripts for Fedora are provided in
  tools/, but actually installing them is something that should now be
  done as a part of the distribution specific packaging.
- Change the default venus.conf settings to use more standard locations
  for various log and cache files (/var/log/coda, /var/lib/coda). This
  changes only the default 'example' configuration file, so it will not
  affect settings for existing clients.

There are also new versions of Coda's support libraries LWP-2.6,
RPC2-2.10 and RVM-1.17, with the following significant changes,

- Avoid fortify error when we switch between LWP threads.
- Make sure rpc2 always checks the global timeout during multirpc handling.
- Send keepalives to RPC2 clients when the initial connection setup
  takes longer than expected. This avoids clients from disconnecting
  during connection setup when the server is busy.
- Fixed various concurrency issues in RVM which were found while running
  with pthreads. It is unclear if these could occur with cooperative
  threading which is what Coda clients and servers use but it is
  recommended to update.

--
Phil Nelson (phil at cs.wwu.edu) http://www.cs.wwu.edu/nelson
NetBSD: http://www.NetBSD.org  Coda: http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu