Coda File System

more about DNS lookups

From: <u+codalist-p4pg_at_chalmers.se>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 10:29:14 +0100
Hello,

we have discussed what happens when DNS resolution is unavailable
because of the client being disconnected from the net.

The negatve effects can be reduced in that case by careful client
administration (which otherwise is not necessary nor desirable).

Now I am observing another case of DNS failures - my DNS provider
is down. In such cases - even if they are rare - it would be a big advantage
if the client could gracefully handle unavailability of the service
(timeout once, not multiple times, and reuse any cached information
it may have had). As you see, it is impossible to rely on client
administration in this case...

It is not an imaginary situation and the provider in question is one of the
well known ones.

Best regards,
Rune