Coda File System

Re: coda-client questions

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 16:11:12 -0400
On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 03:24:06PM +0200, Gergely Czuczy wrote:
> I've tried to set up the coda client according to
> http://coda.wikidev.net/Quick_Client_Action but I've hit some
> unexpected things.
>
> First, the article tells to "venus-setup realm", but I've got no
> executables "venus-setup" and no such files around. I've got packages
> installed from the coda sources, exactly these:

Debian (and Ubuntu) don't have venus-setup, you can use

    dpkg-reconfigure coda-client.

I guess I could include a trivial venus-setup script that just calls
dpkg-reconfigure coda-client.

> # cfs lv /coda/testserver.coda.cs.cmu.edu
> /coda/testserver.coda.cs.cmu.edu: No such file or directory
>
> I guess something isn't going as it should. What am I doing wrong here?
> How could this be fixed?

I don't know what is wrong, as there is a lot going on in the
background.

Can you resolve testserver.coda to an IP address,

    dig -t a testserver.coda.cs.cmu.edu

Can you ping testserver.coda (i.e. is it even reachable),

    ping -c 1 testserver.coda.cs.cmu.edu

Can you send packets to the codasrv port and receive the replies,

    rpc2ping testserver.coda.cs.cmu.edu
    (I think rpc2ping is actually part of the coda-server package).

Can you get the volume information for the root volume,

    getvolinfo testserver.coda.cs.cmu.edu /

If that all works, then the client _should_ be able to resolve and mount
the root of the testserver.coda realm, if any of these fail then that
would indicate that there is a DNS, routing or firewall problem in the
path between your client and testserver.coda.