Coda File System

Re: assigning server-id

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 16:02:52 -0400
On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 12:09:54PM +0200, Czuczy Gergely wrote:
> During the server installation i've come across this message in the
> SrvLog file:
>
>  Fatal: unable to map server-id 1 to host coda3.in.publishing.hu,
>         as it is already assigned to host coda3.in.publishing.hu
>
> it sounds quite... strage to me. I'm doing everything according to
> http://coda.wikidev.net/Quick_Server_Action
>
> I had to fix the ipaddress in /etc/coda/server.conf because coda was
> unable to find it by a dns lookup (it works with hosts, i've got no dns
> issues).

Because Coda uses a global namespace, it intentionally disables
expanding the hostname with the domains that were specified with the
search option in /etc/resolv.conf.

Essentially, we don't ever want to see non-FQDN names such as,

    /coda/coda

Because such a name depends on the location of the client. And an
important target for Coda are mobile clients.

If we allowed /coda/coda, then the mobile client would lose access to
the realm when he connects over a different network that has different
DNS search domains.

Now if we used a FQDN like /coda/coda.cs.cmu.edu, this name would be
be valid and unique on any network that has internet connectivity.

> what should be done to make this server-id issue solved?

It sounds like you have a duplicate line in /vice/db/servers.