Coda File System

Re: RFC: package checking via pkg-config

From: Greg Troxel <gdt_at_ir.bbn.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 07:33:02 -0400
"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen_at_xemacs.org> writes:

> Sure.  As someone who uses Linux for Coda clients far more than any
> other OS, though, I want any revision here to be *designed* with this
> particular wart in mind.  I see no reason to believe it will go away
> any time soon.

Sure - I agree fully.

> That may conflict with clean design for BSD-style OSes, I'm afraid, so
> compromises may have to made.  In that case I don't want Linux
> deprecated because its interface is "unclean".

I wasn't suggesting deprecating Linux, and no one would take such a
suggestion seriously.  My point is merely that it would be good to
actually have a design for how interface/implemenations match up and to
ensure that they are consistent, rather than how it's evolved.
Certainly accomodating the realities of the world is part of such a
design.