Coda File System

Re: RFC: package checking via pkg-config

From: Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen_at_xemacs.org>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 12:55:38 +0900
Greg Troxel writes:

 > "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen_at_xemacs.org> writes:
 >
 > > Greg Troxel writes:
 > >
 > >  > In my view even on Linux the .h files that define kernel interfaces
 > >  > should be part of kernel packages, not libc - there seems to be a
 > >  > blurring of what's in a standard C library and what's OS specific.
 > >
 > > Neither Linus Torvalds nor Uli Drepper is known for being a purist.
 > > You aren't going to win this one.
 >
 > I realize we can't fix Linux.  The question on the table is fixing
 > coda...

Sure.  As someone who uses Linux for Coda clients far more than any
other OS, though, I want any revision here to be *designed* with this
particular wart in mind.  I see no reason to believe it will go away
any time soon.

That may conflict with clean design for BSD-style OSes, I'm afraid, so
compromises may have to made.  In that case I don't want Linux
deprecated because its interface is "unclean".