Coda File System

a design question

From: <u+codalist-p4pg_at_chalmers.se>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 11:01:24 +0100
Hi Jan,

congratulations with the 64-bit, I hope the fixes were sufficient
to allow regular usage on that platform! (Can not test myself, sorry)

Now to the question.

For different reasons it would be handy to have a Venus variation
not using any special kernel facilities, and a corresponding library
talking to such Venus and implementing more or less the functionality
of the kernel module, in form of entry points like our_coda_open().

One point where I see a problem is a mechanism for passing file descriptors
between processes and the cache manager. Some form of IPC is necessary, if
one does not want to transform Venus to a shared library.
The only portable solution seems to be passing path names of the container
files. There will be certainly some nasty race conditions, but hopefully
it can be done, at least as long as Venus and cache are dedicated per user.

Would you estimate whether it is feasible to implement such version of Venus
and a corresponding library? Any idea about how much work would it need?

Regards,
Rune