Coda File System

Re: kernel patch

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 16:21:39 -0500
On Fri, Dec 30, 2005 at 01:13:58AM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Denis> On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 12:32:59PM +0900, Stephen
>     Denis> J. Turnbull wrote:
>
>     Denis> Hello Have anybody there made a debian package for coda
>     Denis> kernel module? I mean something like 'coda-modules-source'
>
>     >> What's wrong with the one that's been standard in the kernel
>     >> for ages?
>
>     Denis> Venus claims that it's too old in 2.4.x
>
> IIRC, the version skew detection is a little too clumsy, and assumes
> that the only thing that can go wrong is for the module to be too
> old.  A common issue seems to be rebuilding the kernel without
> rebuilding the modules; you should rebuild the coda module every time
> you rebuild the kernel.  I'm running 2.4.20 (I have a slight case of
> my-uptime-is-bigger-than-your-uptime-itis) and I know I used the
> module distributed with that kernel.

Actually the Coda module in the standard 2.4 kernels doesn't support
realms. The introduction of realms broke non-Coda users of the Coda
kernel module, so for stability reasons it hadn't been updated. Also 2.4
went into a bugfix/maintenance only cycle for a while. I'm not sure if
they reopened it for backported 2.6 features.

I guess by now anyone who wants to use our kernel module probably knows
how to deal with realms if they want their code to work with 2.6, so
except for cleaning up the patch and getting it ready in small
manageable chunks there isn't a real reason not to push the realm
related updates to Marcello for inclusion in a future 2.4 release.