Coda File System

Re: Codasrv keeps crashing

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 16:01:09 -0500
On Sat, Dec 24, 2005 at 02:38:28AM +0300, M.Kondrin wrote:
> >Hi ,
> >
> >I am running the codaserver for my workgroup. Since we hat some
> >hardwareproblems with the server which required coping (the vicep? were
> >copied with cp -a, the RVM-Data with dd, RVM-Log remained where it was,
> >the server.conf is of course updated) the volumes to a new disk the
> >server keeps crashing if a user tries to write on a special volume (the
> >7f000044-volume, see below). Other volumes seem to be fine. By the
> >opportunity with the server downtime I also updated the server from
> >version 6.0.5 to 6.0.14.
> >
> IMHO this is not the best way to move coda to the new server. I would
> better dump volumes into backup files and later restore them on new site
> (cfs clone ..., cfs dump ..., cfs restore ...). As cfs restore creates
> readonly volume then you will need to mount this volume and copy the
> files from it to new read-write volume. If your old host still working I
> would suggest you try this way.

Actually the best way to move the server metadata is to use norton-reinit,

    http://coda.wikidev.net/Optimizing_Coda_6.x#Backup

One caveat is that norton-reinit doesn't know how to deal with
copy-on-write files in the backup volumes, so backup and clone volumes
have to be removed before the dump starts, or skipped during the reload
phase.

> As rvm's version changed too between coda 6.0.5 and 6.0.14 it is not
> garanteed that RVM-data file remains compatible with coda 6.0.14. BTW
> did you upgrade all the libs coda depends on (rvm, lwp, rpc2)?

Only the RVM-data layout on the client has changed, I have too much data
stored on my own servers to arbitrarily break server RVM between releases.