Coda File System

Re: Coda for syncronizing NFS servers?

From: Scott Serr <serrs_at_theserrs.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 00:38:03 -0600
Ivan Popov wrote:

>Hi Scott,
>
>On Sat, Sep 10, 2005 at 04:12:32PM -0600, Scott Serr wrote:
>

>>Currently we have offices in several countries that have large NFS
>>servers - I think most are NetApps (Network Appliance) NAS.  These are
>>

>>Is there a slick way a Coda client could "re-export" by being an NFS
>>server for the local computers too?
>>

>Coda in theory can be reexported via NFS, by a user space nfs server.
>
>That does not work well, though, even for readonly access - and definitely
>is going to break for readwrite, for many reasons, the most obvious
>being incompatible access rights semantics of NFS and Coda.
>In old days there have been products like AFS-NFS and DFS-NFS gateways
>which tried to adress that incompatibility, but there is no lookalike
>for Coda and most probably never will be, for other good reasons.
>
>With other words, I guess, you would have to convert all of your clients
>to Coda, with all consequences.
>Coda does not do well with slow connection between _servers_,
>so you'd have all of the servers at one site and clients all over the world.
>It may work, but that depends a lot on what the clients do with the data.
>
>I would not encourage such move without a lot of careful evaluation.
>
>Regards,
>--
>Ivan

Thank you for this information -- it is very helpful.  Looks like Coda
will not solve our problems.  In response to our problem... We are
looking at doing our rsync transfers smarter: doing some
"daisy-chaining" instead of all rsyncs coming from one server.  So the
duplicate sync data won't go over the same WAN connection too many (12)
times.

Thanks,
Scott