Coda File System

Re: Coda release 6.0.9

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 10:02:31 -0400
On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 10:59:54AM +0200, Ivan Popov wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 04:37:39PM -0400, Jan Harkes wrote:
> >   - Avoid permission denied errors when an authenticated user revokes
> >     his tokens or when they expire.
>
> the wording seems to be a bit unfortunate.
>
> Does it mean switching to disconnected semantics, something else,
> or using unauthenticated connections? I assume you mean the last.

Yes, the effect is switching to unauthenticated connections, actually we
destroy the user's identity within Coda so a user becomes the anonymous
userid again. There used to be no way to get back to this state which
was causing the permission problems. I am aware that unauthenticated
connections are not necessarily wanted, but from here we can start
developing a better model, such as only destroying the user identity
when a user uses cunlog in, which case that user would be running
semi-disconnected. But that is not a simple change since we need to more
consistently handle the way access rights are cached and when they are
demoted.