Coda File System

Coda and RPM/tar/lchown()

From: Patrick Walsh <pwalsh_at_esoft.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 14:56:22 -0600
	I've finalized our coda setup and let my co-workers start using it and
they're hitting me with questions I can't quite field.

	First, someone tried to use rpm to install a package to coda (by making
a sym link from the normal destination to the coda dir).  rpm insists on
using the lchown() system call to set the ownership of the files.
Apparently coda doesn't like this and gives an error.  Is there a reason
coda doesn't like this system call?  Can it just ignore it?

	Also, there were questions about why unpacking a tar file seemed so
slow.  I speculated that coda, which is connected strongly, was
uploading each file to the server before letting the next one unpack.
Is this true?  I was also asked if it waited for the updates to be sent
out between the servers and I'm pretty sure that it doesn't, but I
wanted to double-check.  Would it be quicker or is there any benefit to
disconnecting before unpacking the files?

	Thanks...

--
Patrick Walsh
eSoft Incorporated