Coda File System

Coda on AMD64 (Linux) and Windows2000/Xp

From: Oliver Eichler <oliver.eichler_at_dspsolutions.de>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 09:19:30 +0100
Hi,

I try to find a replacement for NFS on our network, thus evaluating Coda. I
have problems compiling coda on a AMD64 Linux (SuSE 9.2) system. compiling
lwp will give me

gcc -g -O2 -o .libs/cswitch cswitch.o  ./.libs/liblwp.so -Wl,--rpath
-Wl,/usr/lib64/
./.libs/liblwp.so: undefined reference to `returnto'
./.libs/liblwp.so: undefined reference to `savecontext'

I searched the mail archive for AMD64 and noticed that Coda has some problems
getting ported to 64bit systems (January 2004). Is this still an issue?

As we do have a mixed network with Windows and Linux clients I need a Windows
2000/Xp client. The news says something about comming soon (October 2004).
What is 'soon' :)

Googeling the Net I found quite a bit about Coda. As you never know how old
this information is I would like to clarify some things:

* Encryption and Passwords: Coda does not encrypt data. Password encryption is
weak. Is this right?

* Making backups (cloning) is easy as there are scripts. Restoring a backup is
bad documented and far from trivial. Still true?

* What happens if the database gets corrupted? Are there any redundancy
concepts? Does the server check database integrity cyclic and does it send
warnings?

Thanks for help

Oliver

--
Ingenieure Kellermann, Voigt, Hoepfl, Eichler und Weidner, Partnerschaft

DSP Solutions                                 http://www.dspsolutions.de