Coda File System

Re: is coda right for me? (mail servers)

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_medic.chalmers.se>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 13:34:20 +0200
On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 03:11:07PM -0500, Jerry Amundson wrote:

> > Though, your average file size seems to be relatively big (about 36k
> > ?) and the number of files is hence still "acceptable".
>
> A quick recalc puts us at 40k - I really do hate html mail.

:-(

> Anyway... what is "limit of files per server" based on? You're factoring

It is based on available space in the server rvm - which is limited by
the biggest contiguous available range in the address space of the (32-bit)
virtual memory which is about 1G on Linux and FreeBSD.

> in size, which is confusing me (easily done this week, sorry). Also, I

The limit depends on several things.
With my average file size (once it was half yours, but since then it probably
has grown) I have 18G on a server and do not experience problems.
It is easily recalculatable into the number of files (around 1 million files?)
but that will be anyway just a rough approximation.

There is a utility in the distribution, rvmsizer, which will tell you
how much rvm space does/would a directory tree occupy on the server,
in the best case - i.e. not counting possible rvm fragmentation.

(the "4% rule" mentioned in its output is the rule normally used to recalculate
the file data size into rvm size, which is based on some old "typical Unix
file size distribution" data)

> would guess the limitation applies to the entire VSG and not any single
> computer system.

It is a limitation on a server process. It a server process serves just
one volume (replica), it will be the limitation for that replica,
and hence for the entire VSG.

If a server serves many volumes, their _total_ size is subject to
the limitation.

Regards,
--
Ivan