Coda File System

Re: Un-unmountable /coda

From: Troy Benjegerdes <hozer_at_hozed.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 14:45:34 -0500
On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 03:11:28PM -0400, Jan Harkes wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 06:41:35PM -0400, shivers_at_cc.gatech.edu wrote:
> > as I can see, that are accessing the filesys. No codacon. Nothing.
> > But umount still refuses to unmount the filesys. Has anyone ever
> > seen this lossage?
>
> As Ivan said, it is typically a bash shell or some program that was
> started while the cwd was somewhere in /coda. The current working
> directory pins down the directory cache entry in the kernel and it
> refuses to unmount. (this happens in the VFS and is out of our control).
>
> The easiest way to find these processes is,
>
>     lsof | grep '/coda'
>
> (venus isn't running, so lsof /coda won't work as lsof can't stat the
> mountpoint anymore).

Ahh.. this would explain why 'fuser -m /coda' doesn't work..

Can we update the coda howto with this?

I'm going to take this opportunity to whine that Coda documentation is
often stale, and the commands don't usually have helpfull useage
messages or manpages ;)

cfs help, in particular ought to not have any references to things we
know don't work (like 'cfs wbstart', or 'cfs fr')