Coda File System

Re: ACL and volume mount problems under Linux

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 18:06:57 -0400
On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 04:57:38PM -0500, Nicholas Haggin wrote:
> $ cfs mkm /mnt/coda/home/nhaggin h.nhaggin
> /mnt/coda/home: No such file or directory

/mnt/coda ???

There were (are?) a lot of places where we assumed that the filesystem
is mounted at /coda. Programs like cfs communicate with the Coda client
by doing ioctls on the special '/coda/.CONTROL' file.

> $ cfs la /mnt/coda
> ~      System:AnyUser  rl

That is probably the fake root, you can't create anything in the
top-level directory. You also shouldn't be able to have non-fqdn names
in the level underneath that, although it sometimes works if you have a
non-fqdn entry in /etc/coda/realms.

There can be many reasons why /mnt/coda/home isn't mounting the root
volume from your Coda servers. First of all, resolution related, we
block non-fqdn names to avoid hammering the DNS server with useless
requests. Then if the request return 127.0.0.1 it is considered a
unusable address. yeah it might work if the server is on the same
machine, but there is often something wrong if you actually get that
address when trying to resolve the fqdn of a Coda server/realm.

Once we manage to resolve the name into one or more routable addresses,
then the client sends a getrootvolume RPC call to the server. The server
returns the name of the rootvolume and then the client will start
requesting that volumes location information and finally mount the
volume which instantiates the top-level directory.

I can't tell where in this sequence it might have gone wrong.