Coda File System

Re: Manual inconsistencies

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 16:23:48 -0400
On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 12:50:40PM -0400, shivers_at_cc.gatech.edu wrote:
> The manual (section 7.3.1.1) says "we use 90Mb log size" for a 3.2Gb
> coda volume, further suggesting that a 130Mb will leave you "plenty of
> room."
>
> Everywhere else in the doc *and* the vice-setup script, numbers like 90Mb &
> 130Mb are used *not* to talk about the RVM log, but the RVM data partition,
> where the coda metadata lives. The rest of the doc seems to thing the *log*
> ought to be 9 or 12 Mb, with 25Mb the absolute upper bound.
>
> What's the story here? I assume the manual is borked?

I would venture a guess that someone mixed up RVM log and RVM data. Our
servers are exporting about 6GB worth of data with rvm sizes between
130 and 330 megabytes of RVM data.

RVM logs are mostly about 2MB, I've only had to increase the log on one
group of servers once because server resolution of a large directory
needed about 12MB to log all the modifications during the RVM
transaction.