Coda File System

Re: Roaming portables and Coda

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_medic.chalmers.se>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:38:22 +0200
Hello Tom,

On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 09:18:55AM +0200, Tom Ivar Helbekkmo wrote:
> changes happen on the fly, while the system is up and running.  TCP
> connections, like ssh, don't work through such a transition, but since
> Coda uses UDP, I was guessing that this would be OK.  It's not...

It does not depend on a system using TCP or UDP but how the application
(ssh or venus) reacts when the addresses change and the connection has to be
reconfigured. You see, ssh _could_ cache the user's password and try
to reestablish a connection once it breaks...

I guess Venus could be modified to survive ip number changes, if it does not
yet. Doesn't it at all?

> Another, semi-related problem is that our wireless network does NAT,
> and because of this, the UDP port that Venus listens at can change, as
> seen from the outside, if the machine is quiescent for a while.  As

There is a parameter you can set in the venus.conf to let the client to
keep the connection alive.

> Anyway, I'd like to see the whole system be stateless to the point
> where changing network connections, whether by changing the default
> route to another interface, or by changing which network is connected
> to the interface, goes unnoticed by the Coda system.

It cannot go "unnoticed" by Venus, you will become disconnected and eventually
reconnect again.
Most probably the applications will not notice anything though.

Regards,
--
Ivan