Coda File System

Roaming portables and Coda

From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih_at_eunetnorge.no>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:18:55 +0200
I've just started playing with Coda, and I'm seeing a problem with my
portable computer running NetBSD:

This machine is sometimes connected to the physical network in my
office, sometimes to my home network, and sometimes to our wireless
network at work.  It will have different IP addresses (and routing
table, of course) depending on where it's at at the moment.  These
changes happen on the fly, while the system is up and running.  TCP
connections, like ssh, don't work through such a transition, but since
Coda uses UDP, I was guessing that this would be OK.  It's not...

Another, semi-related problem is that our wireless network does NAT,
and because of this, the UDP port that Venus listens at can change, as
seen from the outside, if the machine is quiescent for a while.  As
far as I can tell, this introduces a bit of flakiness in the
connection to the Coda server, but nothing really too bad.

Anyway, I'd like to see the whole system be stateless to the point
where changing network connections, whether by changing the default
route to another interface, or by changing which network is connected
to the interface, goes unnoticed by the Coda system.

Any hints from people who have looked into this will be appreciated!

-tih
--
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo, Senior System Administrator, EUnet Norway
www.eunet.no  T: +47-22092958 M: +47-93013940 F: +47-22092901