Coda File System

Re: Per connection info in auth2 not being freed?

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 18:20:58 -0500
On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 02:18:30PM +0100, Mark Phalan wrote:
> I've been doing some work with auth2 (adding GSS-API) and I noticed that
> the per connection information being malloc'ed (auth2.c:471) isn't
> freed.

That's most likely the cause of the 'freeze' that Steve Simitzis is
seeing. Technically all RPC2 applications suffer from this, but the Coda
clients and servers are actively using probes to detect dead
connections and destroy all rpc2 connections to a dead host.

> I'm not sure where the best place to free this should be. It could be
> freed whenever AuthQuit is called but a misbehaving client might never
> call that RPC - the best solution would be to wait for a specified time
> and then just free connection info.

Right, that would be my solution as well. Alternatively add all the
structures to a list (or array) and kill off the oldest connection
whenever there are something like 100 entries (maybe an auth2.conf
setting). We can assume that even for a very busy auth2 client, a
typical clog operation should take no more than a second or two.