Coda File System

newbie questions re: coda media server

From: Adam Manock <abmanock_at_comcast.net>
Date: 24 Jan 2004 09:38:26 -0500
Hello,

I have an MS Xbox running Xebian 1.0 (Debian for Xbox)
I have successfully installed coda client 6.03-1
(It doesn't get easier than "apt-get install coda-client")
I then built a nice shiny new 2.4.24 kernel with all the Xbox patches
and the coda kernel module patch too. Everything works great, I was able
to connect to the testserver with a simple:

insmod coda
/etc/init.d/coda-client start
cd /coda
ls testserver.coda.cs.cmu.edu
clog guest_at_testserver.coda.cs.cmu.edu

I am now wondering what the preferred way to disconnect from the
testserver is. It's not immediately apparent how to remove
/coda/testserver.coda.cs.cmu.edu/ from the filesystem now that I'm done
playing with it. Does it go away on it's own?

I'm also wondering what the best options would be for running a coda
media server. It would be serving mostly big files. 100Mb quicktime
movies, 3-6Mb MP3s etc.
The Xbox is a celeron 733 w/ 1.6Gb available disk space. 1.1Gb is
already used for the Xebian install. Therefore there's no room for the
multimedia files, hence the need for coda :-)
The server is a Athlon 1700+ w/512Mb ram, U160 SCSI IO, 10kRPM SCSI
disks. It runs Redhat 9. I've built all the libraries and coda 6.0.3
from source rpms on that box, and installed coda-server-6.0.3-1.

Do I now need to create a coda filesystem (volume?) on my server and
insert all my media into it? If I use my server as a workstation, do I
have to use coda client/server protocols to access the same content
locally?

Thanks in advance,

Adam

--