Coda File System

Re: newbie question

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_cs.chalmers.se>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 16:59:28 -0500
On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Lucas wrote:

> So when I'm do an:
>
> # cfs mkm /coda/newfolder existent_volume

You are not supposed to.

Things directly under /coda are realm names, you cannot create anything
there. Your option is

cfs mkm /coda/relm.na.me/newfolder existent_volume

> But something happens in the directory, cause if I do an ls -a of
> /coda/myrealm, I see the hard link, but in red, like when the symbolic
> link is broken.

This is a different issue - your client is not finding the rootvolume for
the realm.
I think very recently Jan fixed a bug that showed up in that way.
Unfortunately you would have to compile the CVS version to check if it
helps.

Jan, would you comment on it?

> I started to feeling frustrated! :-(

:( Sure it is unpleasant when thing do not work as supposed.
Unfortunately, it is not easy to guess if something is missing in your
setup. Running "script" on the whole process of installing both the client
and the server, and sending the typescript (not to the list!! :)
could potentially help, as well as related information:
contents of the client's

/etc/nsswitch.conf  (just in case you may fetch hosts from nis or alike)
/etc/resolv.conf
/etc/host.conf
/etc/hosts

(you see how many things *can* be slightly wrong, besides the Coda
internal ones)

My impression is anyway, that you are very near to a working setup.

Best regards,
--
Ivan