Coda File System

Re: Realm resolution problems on RedHat 9

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 10:57:38 -0500
On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 12:36:54PM -0500, Jan Harkes wrote:
> I don't know exactly why but it looks like there are some resolver
> issues in RedHat 9's glibc library. The basic symptom is that venus and
> clog are 'Unable to resolve addresses for <insert realm name>'.
>
> This is caused by the fact that gethostbyname never really talks to the
> DNS servers, but only tries /etc/hosts and the name server cache daemon
> (nscd). Perhaps something goes wrong with the initialization of the
> resolver library because we called res_search, to look for IN SRV
> records, before falling back to gethostbyname based resolution.
>
> An interim solution is to start /usr/sbin/nscd as root and everything
> works as it should.

Strangely enough I just spend about 2 hours trying to debug a problem
with identical symptoms. Running nscd didn't help at all in this case,
as the problem was caused by missing entries for codasrv and codaauth2
in the /etc/services file.

The next Coda release will dump an error message when we can't map the
service name to a portnumber.