Coda File System

Re: Venus go bye bye??

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 23:21:19 -0400
On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 06:04:21PM -0400, UpFront Technology wrote:
> [root_at_OLIVIA public_html]# ls
> ls: virtual: Connection timed out
> ls: bob: Connection timed out
> ls: noheaders: Connection timed out
> ls: tmp: Connection timed out
> ls: index.html: Connection timed out
> ls: ferret-hide-e-hole: Connection timed out
> amanda           boycepottery  jemresearch  seiu-local-101  yoho
> bluedevilu-stor  dkstudiogal   nossl        test

When there is a reintegration (local global) conflict, the Coda client
makes the whole volume disconnected. So that is causing the timeouts on
uncached objects and the ones you can see might not match the actual
copy on the server.

I don't exactly know why this is done, maybe to let the 'user' know that
there is a conflict somewhere, or possibly to avoid further conflicts or
to avoid making the location of the conflict unreachable. When we have a
disconnected changes, we cannot push just everything out of the cache to
fetch something new. Yet another unfortunate side-effect of
reintegration conflicts.