Coda File System

Re: Tokens, realms, browsing, hoarding: what's going on here?

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 10:06:58 -0400
On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 06:42:37PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>     Jan> There must be something else wrong because that pretty much
>     Jan> always worked AFAIK.
>
> Is there anything in venus.err, venus.log, or codacon (isn't that the
> same as venus.err? there was a rumor last week that codacon gives more
> details) I should look for?

Codacon is a totally different type of output. It isn't logged to any
file and contains a lot of current activity/progress information. It can
sometimes give a feel for what venus is doing (fetching a large file,
reintegrating etc.), although there are a lot of not so useful messages
that clutter the output a bit.

> Hm ... something else could be server side, right?  And ... oops!?!
> For some reason /vice/db/scm and /vice/db/servers both have the FQDN,
> but /vice/db/VSGDB has only the hostname.

That doesn't matter (anymore). The VSGDB is only used by createvol_rep
when volumes are created, servers don't even bother to load it anymore.

I was thinking more that your rootvolume might be non-replicated. Now
non-replicated volumes aren't really created anymore except if someone
uses volutil create. But you are a long-time user and a couple of years
ago it was still documented somewhere to set up an AFS-like
readonly-replicated volume, which really uses non-replicated volumes.
(back in the day when we had the createvol script).

On the other hand it could still be some DNS/hostname issue, my client
has always been able to operate disconnected. I have entries in
/etc/hosts for all our Coda servers. And on top of that I use a caching
dns server on my laptop. (I keep alternating between pdnsd and dnsmasq).

> BTW, is it safe to remove /vice/db/vicetab?  ISTR that has been unused
> since the late 5.3.1x releases, but as long as I'm here, I'll ask.

Doesn't vicetab indicate which /vicepX partitions a fileserver uses to
store the files? I don't think it can be removed, your server will
refuse to restart without it.