Coda File System

Re: Users and authentication

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 11:15:43 -0400
On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 10:34:28AM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Jan> Ahh, /etc/coda/venus.conf is has an entry that sets your
>     Jan> default realm to testserver.coda.cs.cmu.edu. It probably
>     Jan> shouldn't have that as the default anymore.
>
> Note that coda-client.postinst "helpfully" overwrites an existing
> setting for realm every time.  Stifle that while you're fixing the
> default, please.

It uses the setting you (probably) specified with debconf when venus was
installed. Instead of changing venus.conf directly use "dpkg-reconfigure
coda-client" to provide the defaults. I've removed the default setting
in the debconf.template.

At the moment the cache size and default authentication realm are both
managed by debconf. Should such things not be managed at all? It would
make the various platforms more similar in the way of configuration.

Looking at what we do for client configuration, in most cases there is
really little need to change any of the default options except for maybe
cachesize. venus-setup mostly just checks a couple of things that tend
to be missing on some systems (/dev/cfs0 character device, /etc/services
entries).