Coda File System

Re: Tokens, realms, browsing, hoarding: what's going on here?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen_at_xemacs.org>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 22:45:49 +0900

    sjt> And hoarding for disconnected operation seems to fail often;
    sjt> I end up with the realm as a dangling symlink.  This is
    sjt> really distressing....

urk.  I went back to Jan's "Short Coda realms primer" and found this:

    jh> Finally we try to connect to the found servers, and if the
    jh> connection setup succeeds an entry for the newly discovered
    jh> realm is dynamically created in the /coda directory.

Damn.  This means that you _must_ be connected to start Coda, then go
disconnected without ever shutting venus down, right?  That would be
consistent with the fact that if I start venus, bring the network up,
do "ls /coda/realm", and then shut the network down, I have no
problems.  (I have this vague impression that "ls /coda/realm" may not
even be necessary if I gave it a few seconds, maybe the hoard daemon
is pinging the server?)

Weirdly enough, Coda knows the hoard is there ... cfs lc will tell me
all about the thousands of objects in the cache.