Coda File System

Re: 07:33:43 GetRootVolume: can't get volinfo for root volume (/codaroot)!

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 12:07:56 -0400
On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 07:53:16PM +0530, Mahesh wrote:
> I am trying to run server and client in the same machine
> and i am getting the following error
> 07:33:43 GetRootVolume: can't get volinfo for root volume (/codaroot)!
> It is working fine if server and client are in different machine.

This could be almost anything.

What did you use as rootservers= in /etc/coda/venus.conf?

Can you actually ping the name you used as rootserver?

Can you successfully use rpc2ping to whatever you set as rootserver?

It is possible to set up a TCP connection you your machine locally with
telnet or something? (i.e. telnet <servername> 25 should connect to the
smtp port)

Does getvolinfo <servername> <rootvolname> work?

Did you use the hostname= option in server.conf?
    This binds the server to a specific network interface instead of all
    possible interfaces, so it will not even see packets that are sent
    to the loopback device.

    check /etc/coda/server.conf and lsof -i :2432 output.

Does a DNS lookup of your hostname give you the right ip-address for the
server?

    compare the output of "host `hostname`" to the ip-address of your
    network interface in the ifconfig output. If you set a hostname-ip
    mapping in /etc/hosts it might not match the actual address given by
    DHCP.

Does /etc/hosts happen to have the hostname associated with 127.0.0.1?

Do you have a firewall that stops locally originated packets from
arriving on your 'external' interface address?