Coda File System

Re: Venus cache size

From: Markus Markert <mma_at_suchtreffer.de>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 16:06:46 +0200
Am Montag, 7. Juli 2003 14:29 schrieb Ivan Popov:
> On Mon, 7 Jul 2003, Markus Markert wrote:
> > i have setup my venus for an cache of 300 mb. when i now want to copy
> > more than 300 mb into /coda, what happens then. does venus break down or
> > removes some not needed files from the cache to free space?
>
> Hello Markus,
>
> sure Venus reuses the cache space, so that you can access more files
> sequentially than you have space for in the cache. Of course it diminishes
> the gain from caching, but it does not impose a limitation on the total
> amount of accessible data.
>
> On the other side, a word of caution might be wise - cache object
> replacement may still have some bugs. It is a very basic and important
> part of the functionality, but it is also a complicated one.
>
> I have observed venus crashes seemingly related to cache reuse.
> So to be on the safe side you may want to use as big cache as you can
> afford (disk space and Venus memory footprint: the bigger the cache, the
> bigger Venus rvm, hence the bigger the memory footprint). I am running
> clients with cache sizes between 400 Mb and several Gb.
>
> Hope it helps,

i have understand that.

now i have shutdown on my both servers the venus and have made the new
venus-setup. the scm can start venus, but the non scm not. he brings often
the failure, that he cannot find the rootvolume?

scm -> 		192.168.0.161	(venus-setup 192.168.0.161 1000000)
non-scm ->	192.168.0.160	(venus-setup 192.168.0.161 1000000)

whats happend here?

the files under /vice/db are the same on both machines.

greetings markus

Suchtreffer AG
Bleicherstrasse 20
D-78467 Konstanz