Coda File System

Re: Venus cache size

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_math.chalmers.se>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 14:29:22 +0200 (MET DST)
On Mon, 7 Jul 2003, Markus Markert wrote:

> i have setup my venus for an cache of 300 mb. when i now want to copy more
> than 300 mb into /coda, what happens then. does venus break down or removes
> some not needed files from the cache to free space?

Hello Markus,

sure Venus reuses the cache space, so that you can access more files
sequentially than you have space for in the cache. Of course it diminishes
the gain from caching, but it does not impose a limitation on the total
amount of accessible data.

On the other side, a word of caution might be wise - cache object
replacement may still have some bugs. It is a very basic and important
part of the functionality, but it is also a complicated one.

I have observed venus crashes seemingly related to cache reuse.
So to be on the safe side you may want to use as big cache as you can
afford (disk space and Venus memory footprint: the bigger the cache, the
bigger Venus rvm, hence the bigger the memory footprint). I am running
clients with cache sizes between 400 Mb and several Gb.

Hope it helps,
--
Ivan