Coda File System

Re: Coda-6.0.0

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 18:08:27 -0400
On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 06:05:12AM -0400, Jan Harkes wrote:
> On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 05:27:20AM -0400, Jan Harkes wrote:
> >     I've got patches for Linux-2.5 and FreeBSD-current
>
> The patch for the FreeBSD-current kernel is at
>     ftp://ftp.coda.cs.cmu.edu/pub/coda/freebsd/freebsd-current-realms.patch

With a small bug fixed in the sources, NetBSD-1.6 and NetBSD-current and
FreeBSD-4.8 seem to be working now as well. A patch for NetBSD-1.6 is at
ftp.coda:/pub/coda/netbsd. It's nice when things start to come together.

At the moment the following bugs have been identified and fixed.

* Some gcc compilers miscompile a piece of code. This was causing
  problems on FreeBSD-4.8 and NetBSD. Fixes for this are in CVS. I'm not
  sure which compilers are affected, gcc-2.95.3 is definitely bad,
  gcc-3.2.3 works for me.

* When RPC2 is sending a file that is small enough to get piggybacked on
  the request packet, only the first server actually receives the data.
  This is not really noticable during normal operation because
  resolution automatically fixes the problem. However it breaks repair,
  so it is useful to get the fix out at some point.

Right now, I don't think any of these are of a serious enough nature to
rush new versions of rpc2 and Coda. Probably early next week, once we
know that no other problems have surfaced

If you are building Coda from source and get errno 158 when accessing a
realm, or see "Repair actions performed on 8002de10 have failed (110)"
when trying to repair a conflict you might want to pull the latest out
of CVS.

> I haven't booted into linux-2.5.70 yet, so that patch will come tomorrow
> (ehh, later today).

Still haven't booted into 2.5.70 :) there is one fix that is needed for
.70 besides the patch in kernel-src/ in the Coda source tarball. A bad
patch got merged into inode.c around line 70.

    SLAB_HWCACHE_ALIGN||SLAB_RECLAIM_ACCOUNT,

should be,

    SLAB_HWCACHE_ALIGN|SLAB_RECLAIM_ACCOUNT,