Coda File System

Re: Coda-6.0.0

From: Steve Simitzis <steve_at_saturn5.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 04:57:14 -0700
two questions:

On 05/30/03, Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu> wrote:

>  ** Coda clients will need a new kernel module that supports 128-bit
>  ** file identifiers instead of the old 96-bit version.
>
>     ftp://ftp.coda.cs.cmu.edu/pub/coda/linux/kernel/linux-coda-6.0.0.tgz
>     is a package that can build this new kernel module for linux-2.4.xx.
>     I've got patches for Linux-2.5 and FreeBSD-current and a new coda.sys
>     for WinNT/2000/XP, but I'm not sure where to put them just yet. At
>     some point I'll probably also start collecting prebuilt binary modules
>     for various distribution kernels.

is the linux-coda-6.0.0.tgz package equivalent to applying the
patch coda-6.0.0/kernel-src/linux-2.4-coda.patch to my existing
2.4.20 kernel source tree?

> - LKA (Lookaside caching)
>
>     Very useful if you need to reinitialize a client, but do not want to
>     refetch all the data across a slow dialup link. Just move the old
>     venus.cache aside and generate an index. Reinitialize the client and
>     pass it the index and pretty much all files will be found locally in
>     the old cache.

is this process documented anywhere? i would really like to use this
feature.

> RPC2-1.16
> - Now internally supports >2GB files, however we're not really using
>   this new capability in Coda yet.
> - Re-added a lost lseek that was causing truncated backup files.

woohoo!

--

steve simitzis : /sim' - i - jees/
          pala : saturn5 productions