Coda File System

Re: coda server crash

From: lou <lou_at_0xffff.org>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 11:16:57 +0000
Sorry for that post, looks like i posted it from the wrong email addr.

cheers,
-lou

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 09:03:48 +0000
From: Lou Kamenov <lou.k_at_hq.aeye.net>
To: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Cc: codalist_at_coda.cs.cmu.edu
Subject: Re: coda server crash

In some email I received from Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu> on Sun, 18 May 2003
13:46:45 -0400, wrote:

> > - I read on some docs that write-replicate the root-volume was dangerous
> > because a conflict on this volume would freeze the whole cluster.... (
> > got to try  this too to see....) !
>
> When the root directory of the root volume becomes a conflict, /coda is
> turned into a symlink. However, this object is not really under our
> control. So depending on the kernel we either have a directory that is
> inaccessible, or it actually becomes a symlink. In both cases we cannot
> reach the magic '/coda/.CONTROL' file that is used as the special object
> by cfs and repair to sends commands to venus (like 'cfs beginrepair').
>
> As a result it becomes impossible to repair the conflict. The only way
> out is to create a temporary volume (i.e. tmproot) and start venus with
> '-rootvolume tmproot', mount the problematic rootvolume and repair the
> conflict. Again CVS fixes this because the top level (readonly)
> directory contains locally generated 'cell names' on which the various
> rootvolumes are mounted.

About CVS, when are these changes going to be packed into a release?
Any timeline, or any major changes? If there's a paper where I can read it,
that would be great!

thansk in advance Jan.

cheers

--
Lou Kamenov / Network Infrastructure/Security Analyst
AEYE R&D - http://www.aeye.net		lou.k@hq.aeye.net

AEYE(=AI) stands for Artificial Intelligence.