Coda File System

Re: some thoughts and questions

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 16:38:48 -0500
On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 08:59:20PM +0100, Ivan Popov wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Mar 2003, Jan Harkes wrote:
> > > So my question is - how much would have to be rewritten to be able to use
> > > some other database, allowing the same persistency and resilience,
>
> > Not sure how much would have to be rewritten, but a lot (most) of the
> > server code isn't really using RVM all that much. Possibly because rvm
> > was added on at a later point and most of the real smarts and challenges
> > were in the Coda clients.
>
> It sounds good. As data amount in clients' cache usually does not approach
> that of servers, the clients can keep using rvm without much trouble (IIRC
> venus can be compiled without persistency, and then without rvm, too?)

A venus client without RVM is still using the same mechanisms. The only
differences are that the memory segment is allocated instead of memory
mapped off of the backing store, and modifications are not logged in the
RVM log or reapplied to the RVM data file. So it still suffers from the
same 32-bit address space and swap usage limitations.