Coda File System

Re: some thoughts and questions

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_math.chalmers.se>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 20:59:20 +0100 (MET)
On Sun, 9 Mar 2003, Jan Harkes wrote:

> > So my question is - how much would have to be rewritten to be able to use
> > some other database, allowing the same persistency and resilience,

> Not sure how much would have to be rewritten, but a lot (most) of the
> server code isn't really using RVM all that much. Possibly because rvm
> was added on at a later point and most of the real smarts and challenges
> were in the Coda clients.

Thanks Jan!

It sounds good. As data amount in clients' cache usually does not approach
that of servers, the clients can keep using rvm without much trouble (IIRC
venus can be compiled without persistency, and then without rvm, too?)

Servers on the other side could be set free from the rvm limitations and
pitfalls. There are different database engines potentially suitable.
May be somebody on the list feels motivated to undertake the effort of
rewriting the server-rvm layer?

Regards,
--
Ivan