Coda File System

Re: NetBSD 1.6 hanging on venus startup

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 17:30:56 -0500
On Wed, Jan 01, 2003 at 10:12:35PM +1030, Brett Lymn wrote:
> OK - getNewVnode is NOT called during the venus start up.  The
> function traceback is as follows:
>
> coda_call
> venus_statfs
> coda_nb_statfs
> sys_mount
> syscall_plain

Cool, you found it. CODA_STATFS is actually a relatively recent
addition. it used to always return fake information and not make
an upcall at all. Now it gets local cache size and usage from venus.

Hmm, I should look at the source again, why 'coda_nb_statfs'... would
the 'nb' stand for 'non-blocking?' Basically if we return the fake
information it will work exactly like it used to.

> call.  To me, forking a child to do the mount seems a bit hackish -
> coda_call should be able to detect the fact that coda is not mounted
> yet and avoid the deadlock.

I'm not sure how easy it is to tell if we're already mounted or not.