Coda File System

Re: rvm setup

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 17:40:02 -0500
On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 11:26:18PM +0100, Marcel Pol wrote:
> > It depends on the amount of real and swap memory your machine has. As
> > you are using partitions instead of files, we cannot use a private mmap,
> > and allocate a block of memory that is as big as the RVM data partition.
>
> Thanks for the reply.
> The machine has only 96Mb of ram, and 170Mb of swapspace, on another disk.
> From your explanation below I gather that it might be a better option to use
> files instead of partitions then.

Over time your system will still run out of virtual memory and as the
system is pushed into an OOM situation random processes will be killed.
Coda is still trying to fit up to 315MB of data into 186MB of VM, the
difference is that it will only do this over time as pages are getting
dirtied.

Adding swap is really the only reliable way to make sure your server
doesn't die unexpectedly. Although RVM files and map_private=1 are still
very useful, those will greatly reduce startup times because it avoids
the memory/swap trashing behaviour during startup.