Coda File System

Adding users, creating volumes

From: Auke Jilderda <auke.jilderda_at_philips.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 11:02:35 +0100
Ok, I'm progressing but not quite as quickly as I had hoped for.  The
howto [1] is a big help but I would definately value a bit more detailed
description of typical use (e.g., typical setup of the server with
creating the root volume, setting up volumes for a few users and
projects) to help newbies up to speed.

I now have a server and client up & running and created a volume with
	createvol_rep u.jilderda E0000100 /vicepa

Next, I ran pdbtool to create the user "jilderda" that belongs to the
group "users".  Now I would like to set the password for this user but
ran into the following:
	pc6607:~# au nu
	Your Vice name: admin
	Your password:
	Failed to find root- or authservers in venus.conf
	RPC2_Bind() --> RPC2_SUCCESS
	Vice user: jilderda
	New password: changeme
	New info:
	AuthNameToId() --> RPC2_NOCONNECTION (F)
	pc6607:~#
(Ofcourse "changeme" is a bogus password. :-))  Any suggestion what the
problem is?

For the time being, I tried logging in under the admin account (created
at installation) and mounting the volume using:
	cfs mkmount /coda/jilderda u.jilderda
Trying to mount it under /coda/usr/jilderda didn't work because it
apparently doesn't create directories recursively.

Copying data onto the /coda/jilderda volume generates the following
message in the /vice/srv/SrvLog:
	11:01:38 Caution, replicated volume 0x1000004, resolution is
	   turned off.
What is meant with "resolution"?

Kind regards,

Auke

 1.  http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/doc/html/coda-howto.html

--
Auke Jilderda, mailto:auke.jilderda_at_philips.com (PGP key 0x88583DDF)
Philips Research, Prof. Holstlaan 4, 5656 AA Eindhoven, The Netherlands