Coda File System

Re: multihoming?

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 08:59:09 -0400
On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 12:47:47PM -0700, Ben Clifford wrote:
> I'm trying to run a coda server on my PC which is multihomed (one
> interface with private addresses, two with public addresses).
>
> There seems to be some suggestion on the mailing list previously that this
> won't work.
>
> Is this still the case?

The big issue is that the Coda server has to announce it's address to
clients, but doesn't really know which addresses a client might be
using. Your machine currently has several visible 'identities'.

The protocol/volume databases can only handle a single ip-address, which
is set to the result of 'gethostbyname(hostname())', but if you only
have a single server, it can be forced by setting the 'ipaddress='
configuration option in /etc/coda/server.conf.

When a client looks up the location of a volume, it receives this
IP-address and will use that for further communication with the server.
So it depends a lot on how your network is routed. If one of the public
addresses is always reachable (even when the kernel has to forward
internally from one to the other or from the 'private network'), then
that is probably the best address to use.